Hyperthyroidism, graves disease, goitre, smoker. Put on beta blockers, carbizimole. Started smoking again after discontinuing patches. Can I use patches?

I was diagnosed with hyperthyroidism/graves 2.5 years ago after I developed a goiter , although I had been having the symptoms for up to 2-3 years before that, which coincided with giving up smoking , for which I used patches . I was put on beta blockers and carbizimole. I have been off the beta blockers for a least a year now and am taking 5mg of the carbizimole a day, and when I am taking it properly my levels are good, and respond quickly to taking it properly. However, stupidly I have taken up smoking again and really want to quit. I found it relatively easy with the patches last time, but have always failed when I wasn t using patches. Trouble is the packs all have warnings about not using them if you have hyperthyroidism. I think my goiter is getting bigger again because I am having alot of coughing fits which is what happened last time before the goiter became visible (at which time the coughing fits stopped). My eyes are good, I ve just seen the eye specialist. I am not a heavy smoker but I recognise how stupid it was to start smoking again, and I figure that the patches can t be any worse for me than smoking, but I can t actually find why hyperthyroidism is contraindicated for patches?
Asked On : Fri, 22 Jun 2012