Hurt lower back. Diagnosed with sciatica and lumbago. Why is pain excruciating?

I hurt my lower back 30 months ago helping someone up from a chair. I have been diagnosed with sciatica and lumbago, but I do not have shooting pain in leg, just constant awful ache in left hip and left leg feels as though there are strong rubber bands around the knee and calf . Also pain in foot and weakness, collapsing hip and groin area. Spinal fusion has been suggested by occupatEvebang@aolcoional health specialist, but my doctor disagrees. Pain constant, but worse standing. Buttock pain is worse sitting and walking aggravates pain. I am in the UK.
Asked On : Wed, 27 Jun 2012