Hurt knee after falling while skating, swelling, cannot put pressure on knee, less pain. Should I continue to apply ice?

I am 34, 125 pounds and female. I went skating 2 days ago for the first time in 20 years. After an hour, on the last lap my front right skate got caught on the ice and I fell forward landing hard on my left knee first and then my right elbow . I felt the pain in my knee first and most. Then I felt incredibly nauseous. I was carried off the ice because I couldn t put any pressure on my knee. After 30 min my knee was swollen, mostly above and around the knee cap. By the next day it has become quit hard and stiff. I was unable to put any pressure on my knee without significant pain. There was swelling at gre back of my knee with tenderness and pain. It is now day 3 and I still have swelling with just a bit more movement and less pain but I still can t put much pressure on my knee. I would like to know what I did and if I should keep icing it. I ve been applying the RICE formula since it happened.
Asked On : Sat, 25 Aug 2012

I have read your query.

You should get x-ray of affected knee in AP and Lateral view and skyline view and send me report. If report is normal then to rule out soft tissue injury I will advise you to get MRI scan of knee .

Till then you may continue RICE treatment and take 1 tab aceclofenac+serratiopeptidase three times a day by discussing it with your doctor.

I hope it helps.

You are welcome to ask further health related queries.
In future if you wish to contact me directly, you can use the below mentioned link: