Hurt in the right knee. Undergone Xray and MRI scan. Diagnosed with arthritis, tibia plateu fracture/bone contusion with no displacement. Walking?

Hi I had a fall face first on the sidewalk and hit my right knee hard. I thought I was ok but in a couple days it was hurting a lot and went to the Dr who ordered a xray. The xray showed nothing but arthritis...I am 72 and very active even thought I am full of arthritis. The Dr. told me I should keep my knee elevated and ice for a couple weeks. We spend winters in Az and had company coming one week of my grandkids. Had tickets for a Rockies spring training game and went to the zoo. rented a wheel chair for the zoo, but no sidewalks so I put my purse in it and pushed it so I could lean on it and sat quite a bit....anyway in all I walked on it for a month and finally when it was not healing went back to Dr. He ordered an MRI and this past Friday had an appointment with him for results and the MRI showed I have a tibia plateu fracture/bone contusion with no displacement. The Dr. said it is small. Everything I read says I have to stay off my feet for months for it to heal or surgery and off feet for at least 3 to 6 months. It does hurt when I walk on it but is not unbearable and now I am sitting as much as possible with it up. We leave here for our home in NE Iowa and talked to the Ortho dept today as they were supposed to call me back with an appointment . WE will get home on May 2nd and can come anytime after that. My question is if it is a hairline fracture like my GP here says it looks like to him is the recovery surgery and is the time 3 months and longer with no walking??? Thanks Holly Wold
Asked On : Sat, 27 Apr 2013