Hurt elbow while playing, pain while stretching the arm. What should I do?

Hi, a couple months ago I dove for a ball (indoor soccer) and landed hard right on my elbow on the gym floor, since then it has been tolerable very painful to touch and it s right on the outside pressing down on it feels like little pebbles in there... This hurts extremely bad and I recently fell on it again hiring a basketball game again on a hard gym floor... Now it s very sensitive and sometimes it hurts to straighten out my arm ... Can you tell me what s wrong and what I should do? Thanks
Asked On : Tue, 31 Jul 2012
Ayurveda Specialist 's  Response
1. pain while stretching your arm, it's likely you have an arm strain or sprain, as a result of fall on elbow [enough force placed on your arm so that the joint moves out of its normal position resulting in the ligaments becoming stretched or torn. ]. Consult with your doctor for a proper diagnosis and treatment of the pain in your arm.
. Elevate your arm above heart level to relieve swelling, minimize pain with ibuprofen or acetaminophen.
. If the ligament is completely torn or the muscle is ruptured, surgery may be necessary. Physical therapy may be needed to improve conditioning of your arm after a strain or sprain.
. Don't participate in physical activity while you have arm pain.Stretch your muscles daily and nourish your muscles by having a well-balanced diet.

1. X-rays: will often show stress fractures,bone spurs,and other abnormalities.
2. Computed tomography (CT) scans: can be very helpful in defining bone spurs or other bony disorders that may limit motion or cause pain.
3. Magnetic resonance imaging (MRI) scans: provides an excellent view of the soft tissues of the elbow, and can help the doctor distinguish between ligament and tendon disorders that often cause the same symptoms and physical examination findings. MRI scans can also help determine the severity of an injury, such as whether a ligament is mildly damaged or completely torn.