Huge welts on skin after being in water, itchiness followed by peeling. What could it be?

Two weeks ago I got what I thought were maybe fly bites. I had huge welts on my skin (like over 10 of them) after being outdoors near water. I do recall being bitten at least 4 times but not over 10. Anyway, I had still have the bumps which were a little bit painful to the touch. Some were not painful but very itchy. (It is possible that some welts were from fly bites & some from something else). Anyway, now the big, painful ones are peeling which seems odd. I ve never had this happen before. What could it be? I m guessing the welts were from the bites but maybe they were from something else.
Asked On : Fri, 14 Sep 2012