How to use althea contraceptive pills and its dosage?

Hi Dr. Mia Lundi, Im new bee of using contraceptive. and i m taking althea pills . How can i use althea for emergency contraceptive. We had a unprotected sex last 28hrs ago. Can you please help me? I take 1 active pill 8hrs ago. When is my nex take of active pill and how many? Please i m too nervous right now. Thanks, Dr.
Asked On : Mon, 12 Mar 2012
I have a lot more experience with leavonorgestrel or norgestrel birth control pills. However the same principle holds with Althea as a morning-after pill. I would suggest 4 pills now and 4 pills in 12 hours. You can then take the rest of the pack as usual one pill per day. But it is not necessary for the emergency contraceptive effect only for ongoing contraception. Emergency contraception may work as long as five days out. It is not however hundred percent reliable. If you miss your period entirely you need to do a pregnancy test. Another alternative would be to make an appointment at the clinic and have a Marenda IUD inserted.
Using oral contraception as emergency contraception has the disadvantage of causing nausea because of the high dose of estrogen. Also it would not be advised if you have high blood pressure. I hope everything works out for you.