How to treat dental pain ?

Sir u can help me how i can relive my Dental pain .
Asked On : Tue, 18 Jan 2011
Dentist 's  Response
hello there,

Dental pain is caused due to several reasons like dental decay , it is a bacterial carious process that infects the dental pulp or the tooth nerve tissue leading to pain and discomfort.

Pain in the tooth is also caused due to periapical reasons like periapical cysts , abscess , granuloma , periodontal or gingival infection.

i would suggest you to get a X RAY examination done for the affected tooth which will help in diagnosing the cause of pain in the tooth accordingly treatment can be carried out.

approach a dentist and get the evaluation done , decayed teeth are treated with root canal treatment to relive pain permanently.

i hope this information helps ,

take care.
Dentist Dr. Yogesh Tripathi's  Response
hello
dental pain may be due to various reasons including carious lesions in which pilp is exposed ,gingivitis, periodontitis etc ect
the only difference is that type and severity of pain differs
so i would suggest that you visit your dentist and get a radiograph done and get the exact reason of your pain and get it treated
in the meanwhile , you can take following medication to relieve the pain
1.levofloxacin 500 mg twice daily for 5 days
2.any painkiller twice daily for 5 days
3.omnacortil 10 mg twice daily for 3 days
4.luke warm saline rinses for 6-8 times daily
hope that helps

Dentist Dr. Shefali Gupta's  Response
Thanks for asking query,
Dental pain can be due to many reasons like - dental caries, gingival inflammation, periodontal inflammation,tooth decay due to trauma , perapical lesion.
I suggest you to visit your dentist and get it checked properly clinically and radio graphically to know the exact reason for it and get it cured properly.
Maintain oral hygiene , brush twice daily , prevent food retention .
hope this will help you.

Dentist Dr. Shefali Gupta's  Response
Thanks for asking query,
hope this will help you.
Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response
Hi Shariful Alam,

From the query you have asked,its not clear that what type of dental pain,onset and duration of dental pain etc.
To treat the dental pain,cause of pain has to be evaluated clinically by a dentist.
I would advice you to get your decayed teeth restored/root canal treated.
Scaling of teeth can be done.
Analgesics can relieve pain temporarily.
Grossly decayed teeth has to be extracted.
Always maintain oral hygiene well.
To prevent caries occurrence use fluoridated toothpaste and brush your teeth using soft-interdental toothbrush in back-forth and up-down motion.
Use chlorhexidine mouthrinse to gargle.
Please do visit your dentist for further guidance.
Dentist Dr. Jyoti Luthra's  Response
hello
thanks for posting query.
well to treat dental pain you must go to near by dentist so that the reason of pain can be doagnosed. without that nothing can be done. take some analgesics ( if u dont have any history of analgesic allergy), if u cant go to dentist right now.
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Dental pain indicates infection of the tooth that had spread to the pulpal tissue, such type of the infected tooth need to be treated with root canal treatment to save it permanently.
I would suggest you to visit the Dentist and get the checkup done, take an x-ray of the tooth for diagnosing the cause of the pain in the tooth and accordingly determine the treatment plan.
Take tab odoxil and tab zerodol TDS for pain relief.
Antibiotics and analgesics will give temporary relief,, so i would encourage you to complete the treatment of the tooth.
Maintain a good oral hygiene and take antiseptic mouthwash gargles twice daily.

Hope this helps out.

Regards....

Dentist Dr. Anshumala Singh's  Response
Dear friend.

Thanks for sharing your concern.

Dental pain can be due to many reasons.it can be due to tooth decay,gum infection,any trauma to tooth due to fracture,gum recession causing root surface exposure and hence pain.

pain can be due to other reasons like mouth ulcers,any reffered pain.

There fore in this case you must visit your dentist for evaluation and get the treatment done.
meanwhile use painkillers for temporary relief.
hope it helps.
thanks.
Dentist Dr. Neha Gupta's  Response
I am Dr.Neha Gupta (dentist) and am glad to address to your query here.

If you have severe dental pain, you should see a dentist for a proper diagnosis and to get to the root of the problem. After you see a dentist, you can use a variety of products to ease the pain while you are at home. There are many causes of dental pain, such as sensitive teeth or swollen and bleeding gums. The easiest way to treat dental pain is by changing toothpaste, using a medicated mouthwash, using an on-the-spot pain reliever gel or taking pain reliever pills.

Take care and please keep me informed of your progress at healthcaremagic through my profile directly.
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Pain can be due to infection in the mouth either in tooth or spread of infection in the adjoining tissues .

I would suggest you to visit to the Dentist and get thorough clinical examination done
take x-ray of the tooth to evaluate the cause of infection .

Take the complete course of antibiotic and analgesic , it will give you a temporary relief , unless the cause of pain is determined and treated you may experience pain and infection.

Hope this helps out.

Regards...

Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement Dr. Saurabh Gupta's  Response
Feb 2014
Thanks for posting your query,

there are a few things that a pain sufferer can do to bring temporary relief. Rinsing the mouth with warm salt water, germ-killing mouthwash, or peroxide-based mouthwash may help people who have pain that seems to be caused by an infection. Rinses and mouthwashes can usually be found near the toothpaste in a grocery or other store.

If tooth decay has caused any cavities, or if fillings have loosened or come out entirely, tiny particles of food may become lodged in these areas, leading to pain.
Taking an over-the-counter pain reliever can be helpful as well.
Gels or drops designed for mouth pain are good options as well.

I hope this information has been both informative and helpful

Dentist Dr. Gunjan Gupta's  Response
Hello there,

Thanks for writing your query.

Reasons for dental pain could be following-

1. Grossly decayed tooth.
2. Pulp tissue involvement.
3. Impacted wisdom teeth.
4. Pulpal/periodontal abscess.
5. Trauma.
6. Infection.
7. Cyst.etc......

So i would suggest you consult a dentist and get the thorough clinical examination and x-ray of the affected area done after rule out the cause of pain take symptomatic treatment.

For pulp tissue involvement root canal treatment is best for permanent relief,in case of impacted wisdom tooth,if space is not enough for teeth eruption extraction will be the treatment option,like this there will be different treatment for different problem.

Hope this will be helpful.

Dr. Gunajn Gupta
Dentist Dr. Benley George's  Response
Consult your dentist to identify the source of dental pain. Analgesics is only a temporary measure for pain relief. The permanent solution is to obtain treatment for the problem tooth.
Dentist Dr. Gaurav Pratap Singh's  Response
Hi
visit dental surgeon to find the cause of pain,docter will give you medicines & will tell by what proceedure you will get releaf.

Dentist Dr. E. Bharathikannan's  Response
hello shariful alam,
the best way to get rid of your dental pain is to vist your dentist and follow his advice. painkillers will just give you temporary relief. dentist will treat your problem and get rid of it permanently by eradicating the cause!. take care. visit your dentist once in 6 month. happy smile!!
Dentist Dr. Naveen kumar's  Response
u can take painkillers like nimesulide ,aceclofenac,tramadol,piroxicam ,diclofenac,ibuprofen etc.NISE is very much effective but visit a dentist as early as possible.these painkillers will give u jus temporary relief & they hv so many side effects.