How to reduce swelling and bruise in leg caused after falling from horse?

Hello, My names ally. On Sunday i road this horse and i got bucked off but i cant remember my leg getting hit and the side i fell on was the opisite to the one thats swollen and brused, the first few days i couldnt put a tiny bit of weight on, the brusing has came out a dark blue. ive put frozen peas on my calf but the swelling just wont go down what shal i do?
Asked On : Sun, 8 Jul 2012
Cardiologist 's  Response
Dear Sir/ Madam
1. First of all you need to see your doctor or orthopedician to rule out a serious bone or ligament injury.
2. If already 24 hours have elapsed, you can try moist heat application on the area. Take hot water in a bucket, add common salt to it and put a towel in it. put this towel on affected area but be careful that it should not be intolerably hot. You can also get a prescription of non-steroidal anti inflammatory drug from your local doctor.