Get your Health question answered in 3 easy steps
A Doctor will be with you shortly
Ask a Doctor Now
146 Doctors are Online

How to prevent fetus from sickle cell anemia ?

Good morning, I have AS Hemoglobin and my Partner also have AS hemoglobin. What is the method to avoid having kids with sickle cell disease? is it possible to do the test on the baby during the pregnancy?
Asked On : Mon, 4 Apr 2011
Answers:  3 Views:  199
Report Abuse
Share on Facebook
Share on Twitter
Share on Google+
Question is related to
Diseases and Conditions
Medical Procedures
Medical Topics
  Anonymous's Response
Since you and him are both carriers, there is always a 25% chance that you will produce a child that is SS (has sickle cell anemia). My husband and I are the same- we have three children-one is AA (no trait or disease) one is AS and the third has sickle cell disease. Our daughter leads a fairly normal life and has few problems, but that is not always the case for others. Hope this helps. God Bless.
Answered: Wed, 13 Apr 2011
  User's Response
Hi Coco,

It is possible to detect genetic abnormalities in the foetus. You will need to consult a geneticist with reference from your consulting obstetrician for this. In case of IVF pregnancy, the abnormality can be detected before implantation.
Answered: Sat, 30 Jul 2011
Pediatrician Dr. Tejas Thar's  Response
HI
YOU HAVE 25% CHANCES OF HAVING SICKLE CELL ANEMIA, 50% CHANCES OF HAVING CARRIER STATE,AND 25%CHANCES OF HAVING ABSOLUTELY NORAML BABY.

YOU CAN DETECT IT DURING PREGNANCY BY AMNIOCENTESIS,OR CVS
SO DONT WORRY
REGARDS
Answered: Sat, 30 Jul 2011
I find this answer helpful

1 Doctor agrees with this answer

Disclaimer: These answers are for your information only and not intended to replace your relationship with your treating physician.
This is a short, free answer. For a more detailed, immediate answer, try our premium service [Sample answer]
 

 

Loading Online Doctors....
© Ebix, Inc. All Rights Reserved.
All the information, content and live chat provided on the site is intended to be for informational purposes only, and not a substitute for professional or medical advice. You should always speak with your doctor before you follow anything that you read on this website. Any health question asked on this site will be visible to the people who browse this site. Hence, the user assumes the responsibility not to divulge any personally identifiable information in the question. Use of this site is subject to our Terms & Conditions
Already Rated.
Your rating:

Ask a Doctor