How to overcome obsessive thoughts ?

hi dis s kowsi(female) dad imagine too much he is always talking abt past and getting tension and shouting others.dis makes eye problem too..he s not hearing others advise too.i want to take care of my dad.wat a solution to make him norm
Asked On : Fri, 28 Jan 2011
Hi Kowsi,

Your dad seems to be having thinking and behaviours which is affecting him ("getting tension") and to others (you seem to be concerned about him, shouting at others etc).

The behaviours and thinking patterns could be because of many reasons. He needs a thorough assessment to see if there is a problem and it can be helped or not.

A reality check though.....these kind of long standing patterns of behaviours and thinking (I am guessing that they are long standing) will take a long time to "change" as they are originally formed because of their early expereiences. So please do not any miracles to happen in a will take a long time and the rate of change will be slow.

Also, the change, if at all it happens, will happen only with the co-operation of your dad. It would mean that he would need to believe that there is a need for him to change. If that realisation is there, half the battle is already won and if not, then there is a very hard task ahead for him as well as for his carers who want him to change i.e family like you.

Both medicines and talking therapies may help, if there is a specific problem found after assessment but the actual treatment would depend on your and your dad's choice, availability of particular treatment in your area etc etc.

Hope this helps.

Good luck to both of you