How to identify when are we having contractions ?

Is there another way to tell when you are having contractions? I went to the doc three days ago because i was just not feeling right, and they said i was having contractions that were 4 minutes apart... i am only 34 weeks and they sent me home the next day on bed rest. They told me to come back in if i have more than six contractions in an hour, but i didnt feel them the first time and i am scred that i will not know when i am having them again . Please help! How can i tell i am having contractions?
Asked On : Wed, 30 Jan 2013
When you are pregnant for the first time, it is most often difficult to perceive contractions aptly. You should be able to feel tightness of the abdomen as the uterus gets tensed, as if a tight cloth is being wound round your belly. Usually, tightening is a common feature of pregnancy and occurs for a few seconds only. If this feeling persists for more than that and is frequent, it needs urgent medical attention. There is no need to worry; try feeling them as you lie down in bed in a calm atmosphere, you will definitely understand them. Wish you a safe delivery.