How to deal with a wife who gets very angry ?

I would like to mention the problem of my wife. She is 41 yrs and we bear one son who is now 11 yrs. The problem is that she becomes very angry and this anger would persist from 1day to 3 days and gradually she would cool. Some facts when she is angry : 1. She would never forgive not even if she is at fault 2. She would not listen to argument made to understand her. 3. Never commit her fault. 4. The only argument we would hear from her is I am only bad .. You all are good 5. Very stubborn & impatient. Is there any solution for it because I am afraid it can harm her health. Thanking you
Asked On : Sun, 19 Dec 2010
Hi there, I think your wife may be suffering from PMDD premenstrual dysphoric disorder, basically a depression related to the periods. A psychiatrist can diagnose and prescribe SSRIs, selective serotonin reuptake inhibitors, basically'anti depressants'. The PMDD is caused by a fall in serotonin levels in the brain. I have just been diagnosed and realise that all my cranky ways, anger, irritatibility etc were not because I am a bad person, but simply a chemical imbalance in the brain. Best of luck and good on you for trying to research and solve the problem.
Psychiatrist Dr. B Raghavendra's  Response

There is not enough information in your post for me to help you even with a name/diagnosis, let alone tell you if it can be helped with or not.

Please consult a psychiatrist who can take more detailed history and tell you if there is a problem and it there is, what can be done to help.