How risky it is to get HIV from oral sex?

how risky it is to get HIV FROM ORAL SEX
Asked On : Fri, 18 Feb 2011
Jul 2012
Hi there. This question has 167 views hitherto so felt obliged to try & answer & clear this issue once & for all. Oral sex is called cunnilingus (when a male practices it on the female) & Fellatio (other way around)...this is assuming heterosexual behaviour..similar analogies may be extrapolated to those practicing alternative or different sexual habbits..lesbians, homosexuals, transexuals etc.
The damage is different in risk ratio to the 'recepient' & the 'performer' depending on the trauma to the sex organ involved. Also the ratio of risk changes (increases) if there are cuts on the mucous membranes of either oral or genital mucosa. However, an important point to note that the HIV virus is negligible to NOT present in fluids such as sweat, tears, feces & lesser in saliva too unless contaminated with blood or blood products. Note I have largely kept percentages out as firstly as they are small (in the range of 0.04 % to 0.005%) etc, they tend to convey a wrong picture. To put it coyly (tongue in cheek) : "it only takes one prick"! so do be careful out there..
Most importantly, the take home message is not that it is realtively safe so go is still & will remain "pratcie safe sex..use a condom" & /or stick to one partner!
Cheers & Good luck & wish you all a happy sexual appetite & safe sexual lives...cheers! realise this is a free portal query but if one finds time to ask & then view, surprising none find time to give us a feedback or a review..please do find time to do so.
General & Family Physician Dr. Sourav Ganguly's  Response

Unprotected oral sex has risk of sexual transmitted diseases like HIV.

Best wishes
General & Family Physician Dr. Rajesh's  Response
Hi ter according to the new protocol of transmission,even exchange of saliva can cause a risk of hiv,an oral sex has lots of risk involved in it so unless u play safe u vill not be safe,so be healthy an live healthy an play safe
Welcome to Health Care Magic,
HIV is transmitted through blood and semen.
Oral sex is not so risky unless you have had swalloded the semen.If yes than you should consult your doctor and get a blood test done.