How risky is mitral valve replacement operation?

Good Evening Doctor My mom is undergoing mitral valve replacement surgery . She is 70 now. I am really worried about her. How risky is the operation?
Asked On : Thu, 24 Mar 2011
Hi Shiva
Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum.
Dont worry. Everything will be fine. But i want to know if your mom suffers from any other illness of heart or body like diabetes?? Because at her age the place of operation must have Cardiac Back Up in proper shape to tackle any sort of trouble during surgery//
I hope your surgeon is already aware of all this.
Best of Luck
Contact me anytime at my email
call me anytime.
Please reply//////
General & Family Physician Dr. Vaishali Hebbar's  Response
Hello There..
Welcome to healthcare magic forum..
Mitral valve replacement surgery is a minor operation and most of them withstand it well..But it depends on additional risk factors such as age , associated illness, complications after surgery.Hopefully your mother will be able to tolerate the procedure well.
Hope this helps..