How much time it will take to recover from fatty liver ?

i am sreedhar male 37 years grade 3 fatty liver ,weight 54 kgs what can be the treatment and how much time it will take to recover
Asked On : Mon, 29 Aug 2011
hi sreedhar,
welcome to hcm
thanks for the query
you can come out of it by regular exercise and strict diet restriction
take more amount of fruits and vegetables in the diet.
Avoid fried food, processed food, all junk food.,red meat
Eat whole grains
avoid smoking and alcohol.Keep your cholesterol levels in check
take care
General & Family Physician Dr. Savita Mishra's  Response
Hi Sreedhar,
Welcome to Healthcaremagic
I would like to know your status of alcohol intake, Blood sugar level, lipid profile and liver panel. Also it is important to know whether ultrasound has pickedup only fatty liver or ascitis (fluid in abdominal cavity) as well. If there is no ascitis, it is good. If your lipids or sugars are raised it needs control. If alcohol intake, please stop this.
Additionally you should go for an upper GI endoscopy to look for early esophageal varices. If it is there, it needs a regular endoscopic followup for appropriate intervention. One thing is clear, fatty liver can be controlled probably but will not regress.
Bye, take care.