How much cholesterol intake should you be consuming in a day?

Asked On : Sat, 19 Dec 2009
Various school of thought are there, regarding daily intatake of cholestrol: Some recommend not greater than 250 mg/day, others recommend 300 mg/day. This article on understanding cholestrol will help you out: Cholesterol is found only in animal foods. Thus, the labelling of other products as "Cholesterol-free" is misleading. The most concentrated sources of cholesterol are found in organ meats and eggs. One egg has about 200 mg. of cholesterol, and daily requirements are about 300 mg. per day. Contrary to popular belief, there is little difference in the cholesterol content of meat, poultry, or fish. A food does not have to be high in saturated fat to be high in cholesterol since cholesterol is stored primarily in lean tissue. It is not cholesterol alone that causes problems. It is the oxygenation of cholesterol that causes the damage. Oxygenation, or free radical development, is the process that changes the composition of this essential nutrient, turning it into a destructive compound. Oxidation of cholesterol is formed when it is exposed to air. This happens during the many stages of processing meat, milk, eggs, butter, and cheese products. Added to this is the means of processing -- firing, smoking, curing, aging, and packaging all contribute further to the oxygenation of cholesterol-containing foods. Such fast foods as fried chicken, fish, hamburgers; as well as dried and packaged foods, are some of the greatest sources of free radicals.
  Anonymous's Response

I try to keep it lower than 200mG/day. I avoid egg and red meat. I also figured out that sea food like Shrimp has a high cholesterol value so I am cutting down on that too. I am surprised that I kept eating shrimp / prawn for such a long time without realizing that is not good for my heart. I also avoid cashew nuts and use almond / walnut. Only a few kernels per day, may be 4-5. Spinach is helping me a lot in bringing my triglyceride and LDL levels. Ask a Doctor in case you need to get a diet chart.