How long is it safe to use birth control pills to prevent pregnancy ?

Respected Sir, I am a 22yrs old female in a healthy and serious relationship with my boyfriend who i am soon to be tying the knot with. We have sex twice or thrice a week. We have been having sex since past one years. There have been two mishaps where the condom tore and i had to take an I-pill. My periods were irregular so i went to the gynecologist to get them regularized. she mentioned i have a poly- cystic ovary . She prescribed Asmita tablets 21 day course which i had to take for the next 3 months. I did so. I got my periods monthly. These pills said (on the cover) that they prevent pregnancy . My boyfriend and me had sex twice or thrice a week without condom but he always made sure he ejaculated outside. I find these tablets safe to prevent pregnancy until i wish to have have children once married. My three month course of tablets is over i have to visit my doctor now and then we will monitor whether for the next three months my periods come regularly. Since i will continue having sex with my boyfriend,I was wondering whether there are any other pills which i can take on a regular basis which have no side effects on my periods and prevent pregnancy since condoms prove to be faulty and i don t want to consume to many I-pills since i have already had two. Secondly i would love to know what exactly are birth control pills? Is it better to use birth control pills on a regular basis to prevent pregnancy? Kindly look into the matter and do the needful.
Asked On : Sat, 25 Jun 2011