How long have to take the asthma preventive plan ?

Why is it that no matter how much I follow an asthma preventive plan, I still have severe attacks?
Asked On : Sat, 14 May 2011
Hi, Welcome to HealthcareMagic Forum.
It is worth mentioning here that Asthma can't be cured but don't get scared. It's symptoms can be well controlled. You should be avoiding particular asthma triggers using long term control medications to prevent flare ups and using a quick relief inhaler to control symptoms once they appear. Since how long are you Asthmatic? Since asthma changes over time, you will be working with your doctor to track your signs and symptoms and adjust the dosage of treatment as and when needed. Kindly don't lose hope. Learn more about this condition, this will help you stick to your Treatment plan and will help you understand your condition better.
Exercise regularly and eat healthy nutritious balanced diet like fresh fruits and green leafy vegetables. Maintain a healthy weight and avoid stress. Use a AC at home which will reduce the amount of airborne pollen from trees, grasses and weeds that finds its way indoors and keep your indoors clean. Use a face mask for cleaning off the dust and if possible remove the Pet animals with fur and dander.

Wish you Good Health, Take Care.
Thank you for your answer. I have had asthma for about 25 years now and had a marked increase in attacks after the birth of my last child 18 years ago. I was told my right lung collasped during my 7 month of pregnancy and ever since then I have struggled with more severe attacks. It seems like the older I get the worse it gets. I just got out of the hospital yesterday after having another attack which I think pollen triggered but it's too cold yet for AC so it is sometimes very difficult to completely stay away from triggers, although I try very hard to. I have had so many hospital stays and intubations that I can not even count them anymore. Over the years I have learned to better control my anxiety when having an attack but it is so frustrating to hear anyone telling you, especially medical personnel to relax during an attack. I know if the attack won't break I will be intubated and struggle for days or even weeks to get off the vent. I've had so many close calls. On top of the asthma problem I have a food allergy to soy, which is in many foods and very difficult to completely avoid. I also have many medication allergies like atrovent which is the preferred inhaltion med found in a duo combination. It is difficult to tell anyone about this allergy when you can't speak and so many times they give it to me which only increases my anxiety because I know I will stop breathing, it causes anaphalaxis. Sorry to vent, I've just been so frustrated lately, I used to be a paramedic but had to give it up due to the asthma, which crushed me. I have had so many tests done, lung scans, you name it and have seen several different Pumonologists and I continue with regular care but it just seems like it is getting worse and it is completely disrupting my life. I have 5 grown children, I want to be around to see my grandchildren but I know (I have this impending doom feeling) that an asthma attack will take my life one day.