How long could a person be on Ativan without having difficulty to stop them ?

How long could a person be on ativan without having difficulty to stop taking them? I am taking four (1mg) per day, 2 in the morning and two in the evening, since a month, before I was taking 2 per day for aabout three months - how should I start cutting back, or does it matter if I continue taking them,since it does help me? I have a severe case of the lingering shingles since two years and I am allergic to most medication so this is what the doctor finally gave me to relax and help sleep at night - I am fortunate that you are online, looking forward to your answer. Thanks so much!
Asked On : Sat, 19 Jan 2013