How is lock jaw and bumps behind the ear treated ?

To be concise, I m a 29 year old male in pretty good health. I have a weird benign bump behind my right ear that causes my jaw to lock when I m chewing, and has to be forced open with a violent cracking sound. My TMJ doctor handed me a pamphlet and told me not to eat apples. Waste of money. Onto the main ailment: When I look down, or turn my head left to right, I hear/feel this disgusting crunching sound. It isn t painful most of the time, but the feeling of impact within this grinding is definitely present. The right side of my face (where the TMJ subsides) is constantly accompanied by tinitus(sp) or random ringing of the ear. I also cannot hear as well out of this ear but have grown used to it. After a day of crunching I will sometimes notice the development of small painful bumps on the back/base of my skull that seem more solid than a pimple or blister . My balance is always off after not moving for awhile, and my left pinky and ring finger are often numb or cold and are actually weaker than those of my right hand. Something in my body tells me this is all connected, but I am sick and tired of this--it s been at least a decade and I ve lost hope in finding a solution. I ve seen a chiropractor but it hasn t solved anything, it almost feels more painful to be adjusted than to just not bother.
Asked On : Sun, 22 Apr 2012
From your symptoms it seems that you are having a middle ear disease which causes occasional swollen lymph nodes behind the ear. The swelling might affect the tm joint. Frequent locking and crunchy sound may be indicative of inflammatory changes around the joint. Th weakness in the finger is related to a nerve root compression- may be cervical spondylosis.
I hope this information has been both informative and helpful for you.
Dr. Praveen Tayal