How is a knee injury treated ?

I slammed my knee into the corner of the dishwasher extremely hard a couple of weeks ago. I developed a horrible bruise but could walk on it fine for the next couple days. Then I started noticing it bothering me a little, so Ive been trying to take it easy with my usual walking. Now for the past 5 days i can hardly walk, putting any weight on that leg hurts like crazy, like my knee wants to give out on me.. it s excruciating. My knee cant seem to support any weight at all... especially when my leg is completely straight. What is wrong?
Asked On : Fri, 13 Apr 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
It looks to me that you are suffering from knee ligament injury. I would recommend you to get MRI of knee joint to confirm the diagnosis. It will show us if there is internal damage to knee joint. You need to show to orthopedics surgeon after this. Till that time you can apply diclofenec ointment. Also apply compression bandage at knee joint so walking should not cause any more damage.