How is Halitosis diagnosed ?

Is there a difference between Halitosis and Bad breath? And how are you diagnosed as having halitosis?
Asked On : Tue, 5 Apr 2011
Halitosis is the medicine science terminology for bad breath. Halitosis is diagnosed generally by a person himself or is told to a person by his friends/ relatives or collegue. Scientifically it can be diagnosed by Scrapping your gums or tongue with a wooden stick and then acessing the smell (Generally patient knows most of the time themselves).

Halitosis can be due to various local oral problems or sometimes because of underlying systemic problem like liver/ kidney problems or also may be seen in patient consuming excess of spicy/ oily food, having lesser water per day and lastly it can be because of respiratory tract infections.

more commonly it is oral problems like, lack of brushing/ tongue scrapping/ cavities/ bleeding gums/ periodontal problems, dry mouth (Xerostomia), impacted food particles that contribute to HALITOSIS
Dentist Dr. Qazi Ammara's  Response

Thanks for asking the query,

Halitosis or bad breath is diagnosed by the person himself or his friend, clinically it can be done with the help of wooden stick scrapping the tongue and smelling it.
Other than this there are many test such as BANA , with the help of halimaters, gas chromatography which can be performed by your Dentist, generally the patient knows most of the times themselves.

Hope this helps out.

Dentist Dr. Bindiya Bhaskar's  Response

Halitosis and bad breath are synonyms of foul smelling breath.

It is usually diagnosed by individual itself.

Get cleaning of teeth done in every 6 months,if gums are inflammed.

Brush and floss your teeth as well as tongue daily.

Use chlorhexidine mouthrinses to gargle.

Radiologist Dr. Radha Narayanan's  Response
welcome to are same.Halitosis is scientific name for bad breath.It is diagnosed if there is persistent bad or offensive breath.Diagnosis leads to cause of halitosis like-bad dental hygiene,tonsillitis,patchy tongue,liver diseases etc.