How does salt water cure throat pain during cold?

I was wondering how salt water helps in relieving throat pain during cold/ cough. Can you pls tell me how it works?
Asked On : Thu, 5 Nov 2009
Hi. Saline water gargles reduce the edema and also has a mild bacteriocidal effect. If your condition worsens then i would advise you to consult a doctor for antibacterial therapy.
In a cold the throat is wet and swollen, which makes it ideal for bacteria/virus to breed. When you gargle with salt water the swelling is reduced (by the simple process of osmosis) and this also helps kill bacteria. If the symptoms do not improve in a couple of days please consult your doctor. Gargling should only be done only 2-3 times per day. Too much gargling can worsen the problem.