How does lithobid differ from lithium carbonate ?

How does lithobid differ from lithium carbonate ? I need to understand how these 2 forms of lithium differ ?
Asked On : Wed, 5 Jan 2011
Welcome to HealthcareMagic!
LITHOBID & Lithium carbonate is one and the same thing! Lithobid is trade name of lithium carbonate.
Lithobid is a drug-- an extended-release formulation containing 300mg of lithium carbonate. Lithium carbonate is indicated in the treatment of manic-depressive/ bipolar illness.
Dear anon., william & Dr Kansal -

As Dr. NKK says, Lithobid and Lithium Carbonate(ER) are the same - at least as far as the active ingredient goes, (i.e. lithium carbonate.) The other ingredients of these pills differ greatly, (which does not matter to, at least my, and most likely to many, health insurance providers and their 3rd party mail order pharmacies/class & price setters for the dispensation of same.) My insurance calls the two meds "equivalents", because the "active ingredients" are the same, therefore the generic is substitutable.
In my experience, generic Li2 CO3 ER, causes an ER, (extended release) of nausea, (unless there is something in my stomach..., which is hard to maintain 24/7.) In contrast, something in the Lithobid, also a SR, CR, or ER formulation counteracts that type of reaction, possibly with a continuous release of an enteric contents or the like. The Lithobid tablets are covered with a salmon pink colored coating that may be protective to the digestive system and the Lithium Carbonate ER is an uncoated white/chalky tablet. Although, probably not be the only difference in ingredients and/or in performance, but it's worth noting.
The biggest difference between the two is most likely the bottom line. Depending on where you get it and with who you are insured, if..., but here's a recent "retail" quote for the two, (keeping in mind, pharmacies may differ,): Lithium Carbonate ER $23.70 Lithobid $273.65 - so...
Same thing, only different.
I like to know why the Lithobid costs so much more - Solvay has to pay all their scientist and researchers, no doubt, but... x10+!!!!
piece in peaces,