How do I start a walking regime? Overweight with no illness

I am a male, 55 years old, and have been sedentary. I weigh about 220 lbs and am 5 10 tall. I have regular checkups every 6 months and all in all I am in good health. We just acquired a treadmill and am wanting to start a walking routine, but don t know exactly how to start. I don t want to get on it and set it for 3 0r 4 miles an hour and take off. How do I begin?
Asked On : Wed, 23 Jan 2013
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014

If you are absolutely new to exercise, start by walking for just 10 or 15 minutes two or three times per day. Gradually add time so that you work towards one full 30-minute session. Don't worry about speed or pace in the beginning. Make consistency your goal.
As your fitness level increases, see if you can begin to increase the speed and intensity of your workout.

Wishing you good health...
Dr Saurabh Gupta.
General & Family Physician Dr. Shoaib Khan's  Response
Hello and welcome,

It is always best to start slow and take it up from there on, and once you reach a moderate level and notice a change in your energy levels, as well as a small amount of weight loss, set this as your standard.

You can start with a 30 minute walk for the first day, at a normal speed (approximately 3-4 mph). Start increasing that by 5-10 minutes for the first week, till you reach the 1 hour duration.

Take at least a one day break per week. This helps in rejuvenation of the body and is vital. For the next week you could try increasing the speed a tad bit (4-5 mph). Continue with the same speed for 2-3 days, and then again increase (5 mph).

Please do not increase the speed too much just because you think you can, but instead work up the ladder, which will help in increasing your metabolism as well.

Once you reach a comfortable speed stick to it (around 5 mph). It should feel like you are brisk walking, and should be between a jog and a walk.

Brisk walking is really healthy.

Now to go about a a standard on a daily basis, with the one day per week exception. Start with a slow speed (this would be your warm up) for a minute or two, and increase your speed every 5 minutes, to finally reach the speed that you normally brisk walk on, and continue the same for the rest of the exercise.

Walking/hour = ~300-500 calories

I hope I have succeeded in answering your questions, you could write back to us anytime for further clarifications.

Best wishes.