How could I teach my baby to speak ?

Dr i m madheena,my 18 months old son not speek so many words.he says only papa,maaaaaaaa,thatha.but he understands all what we say.he responses for that only by gestures.what should i do sir?how can i teach for him to speek?
Asked On : Wed, 9 Mar 2011
Dentist, Periodontics 's  Response

Thanks for the concern

your baby has started speaking .so dont worry. what you need to do is

Keep talking to him more and more

talk small words which he can pick at this age like cat,dog,etc

show him the things and explain immeterial how much he picks dont ever think he wil not understand as they under stand every thing you just need to keep on talking.

Every one at home should talk to baby so that it helps them speak and increases their vocabulary.

take care
  Anonymous's Response

Some children with an expressive delay are just 'late talkers' and have a constitutional delay in their speech development. These children will develop normal speech and language skills as they get older without any treatment.
I think you should not worry for your son,
Normally By 12 to 15 Months Kids should have a wide range of speech sounds in their babbling (like p, b, m, d, or n), begin to imitate and approximate sounds and words modeled by family members, and typically say one or more words (not including "mama" and "dada") spontaneously. Nouns usually come first, like "baby" and "ball." Your child should also be able to understand and follow simple one-step directions ("Please give me the toy," for example).