How complex is the anal gland cyst surgery and what is the recovery time ?

I have been told that I have a cyst in one of right hand side anal glands. It is between 1-2 cm and I have had it for about 10 days. I have noticed that it is getting smaller but I do not know by how much. It does not cause and pain or discomfort (it did when I first found it) but it is sensitive to the touch. It has not abscessed. The Dr I saw said that one of three things will happen, it will go away. It will abscess or it will need to be removed. My question is how long can I wait to see if it goes away? Does it really need to be removed, what is the harm in leaving it? And finally how complex and or risky is the surgery and what it the typical duration and recovery?
Asked On : Mon, 21 Mar 2011