How come I am not motivated to do anything ?

i am a 22 year old male. there are many things i am interested in, but never motivated to complete anything. one thing, exercising, at sometime i will be motivated to work out, and have an exercise plan, but after a few months of doing it, i will stop, and not start up again until almost a year or more later. this is one example (out of many things) that i am motivated at one point, then a few weeks or months later i stop doing. i do not feel depressed, i am always smiling/laughing (sometimes for no particular reason), and laid back. i feel like this issue is holding me back from moving on with my life. i have one part time job, want a second job, but not motivated to go out and get one. still live at home, and have no savings. i am not interested in college. the only thing i really want to do as a career (for now) is the military. but i am not ready for that, due to these problems i am having. its been like this for at least 3 years now, and sick of being like this. also i am a quiet person (don t talk much), and try to avoid public places, like going to the store. i usually rather pay for shipping than go to a local store to buy something.
Asked On : Thu, 3 Feb 2011

you needs constant motivation & supervision.Changing of thought & working methods is part of life.Doing one thing all time is also boring in life .think what is good or bad for you.then make decision.consult some good Psychiatrist

Depression may be described as feeling sad, blue, unhappy, miserable . Most of us feel this way at one time or another in our for short periods.

True clinical depression is a mood disorder in which feelings of sadness, loss, anger, or frustration interfere with everyday life for a long period of time.

I am glad you have expressed your situation here. The fact that you have actively sought help here tells me that you will be more proactive if you had a better picture of what's going on.

In my opinion, the major cause of inconsistencies in the level of motivation is lack of a 'clearly defined goal'. There is simply no alternative to clarity when you plan activities to achieve a particular goal. You might set goals and start moving towards them, but unless they are clear and specific, you will lose focus and the motivation.

Procrastination creeps in when you are in such a situation, and it further adds to the insult.

What you need is just one hour to start with, when you will be writing down your most important life goals on a sheet of paper. Plan out the steps to achieve them. Put a timeline/date on those goals. Without a defined timeline, they are not goals, but merely wishes.

Once you are sure you have enough information / tools, start off. Now the most important process is the process of monitoring. You need to measure your progress regularly so that you will be able to see how close you are getting to your goals.

It helps to ask someone else do the monitoring for you. A close friend/associate will be happy to do it for you.

One again, it is important to have a clearly defined goal. And the goal should be something you want "no matter what". If you can live without it, then it'll probably not hold your attention for long.

The pain of short term actions and discipline is much better than the pain of regret. After all, when you are 90, you don't want to reflect in the past and think "I should have done that .... my life would be so different then"!

I hope this helps. You are free to come back here any time in future. We could do the monitoring for you here in this community.

Lastly, you might want to explore why you seem to avoid social contact. And if it not the avoidance of social contact, then what it is that keeps your from moving out for routine activities. If you think you avoid public places in order to avoid questions from people about your career / work and all, then you know where to start working. Take care of the things we talked about earlier, and you won't have to deal with the social interaction issues later.

Best Regards.

Abhijeet Deshmukh, MD