How can i control the pain in my chest which lasts for a second ?

I had a chest tightness last week in the morning when I woke up from sleep but went away after 2 mins after when I walked for a while. I went to the emergency where they did EKG and blood tests and confirmed I did not have a heart attack . I had a treadmill stress test and it also confirmed that I am ok. My doctor said that it might be due to acid reflux . I get acid reflux when I eat certain foods. I started taking zantac 150 mg every other day for acid reflux. I take medication for high cholesterol and high blood pressure and I am 32, male. Both cholesterol and blood pressure are under control. But I keep getting pain in the chest and it lasts for only a second. I get this couple of times a day and its not always at the same place. Sometimes the pain is in the center or slightly to the right or left. I also get cough with throat itching for few hours a day and it goes away on it own. Why is this happening and how can I control it?
Asked On : Sun, 26 Jun 2011
Cardiologist 's  Response
Thank you very much for using this service.
Your normal EKG,Blood reports and Normal Treadmill test effectively rules out underlying cardiac disease.(Although treadmill test is 85%sensitive at most in ruling out angina but your age and well controlled BP and Cholesterol are reassuring with history that does not sound typical of angina.)
Your symptoms do sound like GERD(Gastro-esophageal reflux disease)which is due to reflux of acidic stomach contents into throat causing pain and throat irritation and at times bad taste in mouth.
You may need to have strong anti-acid drugs like PPIs(Proton pump inhibitors, Omeprazole/Lansoprazole)which reduce acidity by >90% and effectively control the symptoms.
If still not relived then drugs which increase gastric motility and close esophageal-stomach sphincter like Metoclopramide can be tried.
I hope that following link will give you good information
These are some options which you can discuss with your physician.
Best Regards