How can a person get rid of ghutka and alcohol ?

my husband will eat gutuka and drink daily i tried a lot but it was not sucess please give me suggestion to quit both
Asked On : Thu, 31 Mar 2011
Thanks for writing in to us.
If your husband is reluctant to see a doctor, you can have your husband discuss his addiction problem with a counselor first. The counselor will try to understand your situation at home and encourage you to take your husband to a psychiatrist. The psychiatrist will evaluate his general health and take detailed history on his addictions. Your husband also needs to get educated on the risks of addiction to guthka and alcohol.

If a de addiction center is there close by, you husband can stay there for some time (1-2 months) and be under strict observation for addiction behavior. This is because if a patient stops taking alcohol suddenly or takes even little alcohol when he is on medicines for de addiction, he may have withdrawal symptoms and this can lead to emergency situation which can be controlled better in a de addiction center.

Hope this helps.
Radiologist Dr. Radha Narayanan's  Response
Thanks for choosing both should be from his side also unless he wishes like that you cant force him to do so else he will get back to it as early as possible.Please explain to him nicely that you wish him to get rid of the habits for good and then take him to some Deaddiction centre in your place.They will first counsel him and then do the needful.
Psychiatrist Dr. Keerthish Shetty's  Response
Addiction (to alcohol, tobacco or any drug) is considered as a disease and not just a bad habit. The reason is that there are lot of changes in the brain and its chemical messengers which are not in the control of the person once he gets addicted.

It is advisable to consult a deaddiction specialist/psychiatrist in your area. Hospitailization may or may not be necessary depending on the severity of the problem. Medicines may have to be continued for some time to prevent relapse. Remember that it is dangerous to stop alcohol use suddenly by yourself as there can be severe withdrawal reactions. Deaddiciton should be carried out under the supervision of a specialist.
Psychiatrist Dr. A. Vishal's  Response
Alcohol and gutaka addiction causes severe health related problems.
you should be consult a psychiatrist, he will help your husband problem.
sudden cessation or decrease the amount of alcohol causes tremors,seizures,palpitations,fearfulness,fluctuation in blood pressure. so admit in deaddiction centre.