How can Motor TIC be treated ?

MY SON HAS MOTOR TIC,I FOUND OUT YESTERDAY. IAM SCARED AND CAN T STOP CRYING. IS IT A MENTAL HEALTH PROBLEM?
Asked On : Thu, 9 Feb 2012
Jan 2013
HELLO & WELCOME TO HCM FORUM

WITHOUT WATCHING MOTOR TICS,ITS VERY DIFFICULT TO COMMENT ANY THING

THESE MOTOR TICS MAY BE NORMAL IN FORM OF MYOTONIC JERKS AND ABNORMAL IF REPEATING THEN MYOCLONIC SEIZURES

ALTHOUGH SEIZURE IS A DISEASE AND PATIENT HAS TO TAKE ANTIEPILEPTIC MEDICINES FOR CONTROL OF SEIZURE

BUT VERY EFFECTIVE AND GOOD MEDICINE ARE AVAILABLE IN MARKET AND THIS CONDITION IS ALSO NOT DANGEROUS FOR LIFE.

YOU SHOULD CONSULT TO PHYSICIAN/NEUROLOGIST AND ALSO GO FOR EEG

TAKE CARE AND HOPE FOR SPEEDY RECOVERY

DR.MAYANK BHARGAVA
Psychiatrist Dr. Maneesh Gupta's  Response
A motor tic is a repetitive, involuntary movement of a specific muscle or muscle group leading to a small/minor movement. It is disturbing to the person because it is repetitive and cannot be controlled by the person.
However, it may not be as bad as it sounds. There are many many different types of motor tics. They vary in intensity, frequency and manifest movement. Some motor tics decrease with age, and many can be reduced/controlled with new medications/injections.
It is NOT a mental health problem.
I hope I have reassured you and would request you to kindly reassure your son too.

Dr Maneesh Gupta