How can I prevent my hypertension?

How can I prevent my hypertension? What precautions I have to take? How can I prevent my hypertension? What precautions I have to take?
Asked On : Tue, 15 Dec 2009
Cardiologist 's  Response
Hi well come to HCM.
Primary hypertension is usually genetically comes. Like all other factor genetic factors
are not correctable. So if you are genetically prone with strong family history of hypertension its difficult ot prevent totally. How ever low salt intake. avoiding fatty
and high carbohydrate diet and regular exercise can help you to certain etent. Thanks
A new study on the prevention of high blood pressure recommends six lifestyle modifications. These strategies are especially important for people who have risk factors for high blood pressure that cannot be changed, including family history, race, and aging. Lifestyle modifications include: Maintaining a normal weight, with a body mass index (BMI) of 18.5 to 24.9. Reducing sodium in your diet to about 2.4 g (2400 mg) per day, which is about 1 teaspoon of salt. Exercise, such as brisk walking, at least 30 minutes a day on most, if not all, days of the week. For men, limiting alcohol to two drinks (24 ounces of beer, 10 ounces of wine, or 2 ounces of 100-proof whiskey) per day. Women and lighter-weight people should limit alcohol to half that amount. Getting 3,500 mg of potassium in your diet every day. Following the Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension (DASH) eating plan, a diet that is rich in fruits, vegetables, and low-fat dairy products, with reduced amounts of saturated and total fats.