How can I get relief from social anxiety disorder ?

I am 29 years old suffering of social anxiety diorder, hoe can I free from it?
Asked On : Sun, 26 Feb 2012
Treatment/Therapy
Hello........
Thanks for your query. Management for social anxiety disorder includes:
1. Anti-anxiety medication including SSRIs
2. Psychotherapy techniques including exposure and response prevention; cognitive behavioural therapy
I would suggest you consult a psychiatrist to rule out other anxiety disorders and start on appropriate management. You can also try yoga, breathing relaxation exercises and meditation. Wish you good health.
Dr Sundar
Psychiatrist

Psychiatrist Dr. Dushad Ram's  Response
Dear Sir/Madam

if you have been already diagnosed as social anxiety disorder then start treatment now as it hamper day to day life very significantly. If you are guessing then better consult psychiatrist and discuss that there is no other problem as depression usually accompany this problem. Both medicine and Non-medicine treatment available and combination is better then alone. Don't avoid interaction with people but try to interact more and think that this is limiting to social context and anxiety does not result into any physical or any other kind of harm, at most transient apprehension, tremulousness, palpitation etc will appear for short period.

Hope you will recover soon.
General & Family Physician Dr. Radhika's  Response
If you are suffering from social anxiety disorder you will need visit a psychiatrist who will can help you with various forms of therapy like Cognitive behavioral therapy.Also practice yoga, meditation which will help you be calm, confident and relieve of anxiety.Just believe in yourself, we can show you the way but it is up to you to make the changes.
Regards.

Regards.