How can I confirm if pain in the left side of neck is just a strained muscle or is related to heart ?

Hi my husband and I just ran a 5K and 1 Hi, I am a 42 yr old female. I am fairly active working out on the ecliptical and treadmill 3-5 times a week. My husband and I just ran a 5K on Sunday. 1/2 way thru I had gotten a pain on the left side of my neck. When I went home all I could do was sleep. Monday it did not get better. I took Ibuprofen 2 500 mb tablets did not help. I took muscle relaxers they did not help Then I took vicodin it took most of it away but I still felt it. Today I felt nauseated so I went to the doctor . My BP was 163/90 and my pulse was 88. My weight is now 150. My BP is usually 120/70 and my pulse is ususally around 60. My weight fluctuates between 135 and 140. I know my bp went really high on Sunday during the race because I was beat red and I could feel my heart pumping when my neck was hurting. How do I know it is not a blocked vein in my neck - to me I feel a knot there and when I press it, the pain lessens. My dad died of congestive heart failure at 54 after having a heart attack and stroke beginning when he was 42, my brother had a heart attack and bypass surgery when he was 43 and my mother and grandmother have high bp. Should I be concerned or could it just be a strained muscle?
Asked On : Wed, 8 Jun 2011