How can I confirm Guillain-Barre syndrome ? What is the treatment for this disease ?

I was told by my neurosurgeon that I have Guillain Barre Syndrome since May 2011 following a stomach flu . I developed severe neuropathy symptoms with this and have numbness in both legs. I have tightness and pressure in my shoulders, chest and trunk. I am not diabetic but the neuropathy prevents me from everyday tasks and the numbness even prevents me from walking because I cannot feel the ground. I had a SSEP test done today. Will this tell me for certain if I have GBS? Also, how do I get any relief from this neuropathy? I already take Cymbalta, Neurontin and Oxycodone , and I attend physical therapy 3 days a week but with no relief at all. I also have back pain and facial numbness. Does this sound like Guillain Barre in your opinion?
Asked On : Fri, 9 Mar 2012

Welcome to HealthcareMagic forum.

Guillain Barre Syndrome or simply GB syndrome is a condition that affects nervous system leading to progressive weakness of skeletal muscles. Sometimes sensory disturbances may be accompanied by muscle weakness (motor dysfunction), however pure sensory disturbances are unlike GB syndrome.

Definitive diagnosis can be established by EMG studies, examination of cerebrospinal fluid and detailed neurological examination.

Chronic Inflammatory Demyelinating Polyneuropathy (CIDP) needs to be ruled out when symptoms are predominantly sensory as seen in your case. A brief course of steroid and other immune suppressant might help you.

I encourage you to consult a neurologist if you haven't met one yet for a detailed neurological examination. Review of your earlier tests and if needed re evaluation may be needed.

Hope this answers your query.

All the best!!