Hot flashes, mood swings, weight gain, irregular periods, abdominal cramps. Normal?

Hi Stephen, I am 49, healthy and very fit. I know I am beginning menopause and over the last two years have had hot flashes, mood swings, weight gain / loss and irregular periods (of varying intensities and length). This week for the first time ever I am currently suffering cramping in my lower abdomen almost to the point of doubling over. It honestly feels like something is trying to wrench my inners out! The last time I felt this was when was in labour 26 years ago. Is this normal? Or should I go get it checked out?
Asked On : Sat, 23 Feb 2013