Horseshoe shapes of spots on back, painful, unable to sleep, dizziness. Taking antibiotics. Cure for symptoms?

My uncle of 76 ish has recently developed a horseshoe shape of spots on his back around his spine to shoulderblade, some of which have become absesses. He has been to the doctor and he didnt seem to know what it was. He has been given a course of anti-biotics and has been visiting the nurse to have this area dressed for the last couple of weeks. He said it was very painful and uncomfortable and he was unable to sleep initially. It is getting better, but we are concerned about him as he has not seemed particularly well and is very tired. He has felt dizzy and fell over today in the garden.
Asked On : Thu, 25 Apr 2013