Horrible stomach pains, worsens with time, cannot stand up during the episode, stomach seems to be distended. Cause?

Off and on for a few years now (maybe 2 or 3 times a year) I get horrible stomach pains. The pain comes on slowly, not too bad, and gradually through an hour or so gets worse and worse. There s usually 20 mins or so where the pain is unbearable, to where I can t stand up straight or hardly move, and nothing helps. It feels like if I stand up straight my stomach is getting stretched. Then it gradually subsides again. The pain usually starts out at a 5 or 6 and gets up to a 9 at the worst, before going back down to a 5 or 6 for awhile again. It doesn t happen immediately after eating.. yesterday I experienced an episode about 4 hours after eating (a meal I ve eaten many times before) and today I experienced it 4 or 5 hours after eating (also a meal I ve had many times). I ve never been able to link it to any food or a condition, as it happens to infrequently, but when it does happen it s horrible. My stomach also gets extremely bloated or distended, even though I haven t eaten anything for awhile - it actually looks like i m very pregnant - much more bloated than i d normally get even if i ate a ton of food. During/after an episode I don t have diarrhea/ constipation or anything of the sort. I don t believe it s gas either. The pain is usually slightly below the belly button, from side to side.
Asked On : Sun, 13 Jan 2013