Horizontal indent on upper quadricep of left leg with severe pain and discomfort. Causes ?

I am a 53yr female. I have been working out and woke one morning to a horizintal indent on my upper quadricep of my left leg, it is about 5 in length 11/2 wide and getting quite deep. It has been causing alot of discomfort with pain shooting down my leg aswell as going into the back of the leg. I have looked all over the internet to see if I could find anything simular, could you give me an answer to what could be causing this. Thank you.
Asked On : Fri, 13 Apr 2012

You need orthopaedic consultation. Your doctor may do your physical examination and advise you MRI scan of affected area.

Only then your diagnosis can be made.