Home pregnancy test positive. Had bleeding after taking abortion medication. How will I know if I had a successful abortion?

Hi dr im 29yr old. after doing the pregnancy test at home it was positive.i n my husband decided to discotinue the pregnancy .so v visited the gynaecologist for mtp as it ws fifth week of pregnancy.after 1dose of medicine inserted on 8th night i got the bleeding on 10th april morning.same day in the evening i went again to the dr as i hd to go for the second dose of medicine since 1st day i got bleeding till 6days.but nw i hv no bleeding .hv i already aborted? Is it tht im still having tissues left inside the uterus? Do i hv to go through d n c?
Asked On : Sun, 21 Apr 2013
Hello, I would be happy to help you with your question.

So to summarize, you were about 5 weeks along, and you took medicine and had bleeding afterwards. One could assume that you aborted, but this remains uncertain based on what you are saying. You need to:
1. Go in for an HCG level
2. The HCG level needs to be repeated 48 hours later to make sure that it is dropping
3. If the HCG level is NOT dropping, then you need an ultrasound
4. If you have any pain, you need to call your doctor immediately

I hope that this helps. If you have more questions, please click on "ASK ME A QUESTION" link above to directly ask me a question!