Hole in the ears of my daughter

Hi, I have a query. My daughter who is 7 months old have a problem in her ears. We found 1 hole on both her ears. We consulted ENT at bangalore and they said we need not worry till there is no discharge. But surprisingly I feel one more hole kind of thing is starting again. My daughter is otherwise very active. Kindly advice me.
Asked On : Fri, 11 Jun 2010
ENT Specialist 's  Response
It seems that your child may be having frequent cold or upper respiratory infections which are going unnoticed.So, consult your doctor to get a thorough examination.
Does your daughter have a history of snoring and/or mouth breathing awhile sleeping? Get an X-ray Skull lateral view for Adenoids done. Also get X-ray Mastoids Schuller's view done for both ears. Have an Pure Tone Audiogram (PTA) done and post the results of the above tests and X-rays. Keep her ears dry, no swimming.
Just realized that her age is 7 months and not 7 years. PTA wont be possible. Avoid feeding her without her head elevated. The Eustachian tube which connects the ear and nose is shorter, broader and more horizontal in a child than in an adult. Therefore milk and fluids can enter the ear easily. Nasal infections also reach the ear quickly.