Hole in discs. Done operation. Pregnant. Worried about recurrence during childbirth

I have a hole in one of my discs. I had an operation in aug 2010 to shave off the bit pressing on the nerve. This happened due to coughing. The discs are degenerative and I was told it will happen again. I m currently 35 weeks pregnant and concerned that this could happen again whilst giving birth. What is your opinion?
Asked On : Sun, 17 Feb 2013
Neurologist 's  Response
Nov 2013

Thank you for posting your query.

I accept that pregnancy and child birth can put extra strain on the spine, especially lumbar spine (lower back). However, the chance of you getting a prolapse of discs leading to nerve compression is very low.

This is because pregnancy is a normal physiological process and normal delivery does not pose any serious adverse effect on the spine.

It is important to follow the back exercises after delivery, as suggested by your doctor.

Best wishes,
Dr Sudhir Kumar MD DM (Neurology)
Senior Consultant Neurologist