Hi, thanks for writing to HCM.
An xray of the injured area is necessary to diagnose a fracture
. An MRI
scan of the ankle is needed to ruleout any injury to the ligaments.
The primary management of your condition is as follows -
• Protection – protect the injured area from further injury, by using a support or, in the case of an ankle injury
, wearing shoes that enclose and support your feet, such as lace-ups.
• Rest – stop the activity that caused the injury and rest the injured joint or muscle.
• Ice – for the first 48 to 72 hours after the injury, apply ice wrapped in a damp towel to the injured area for 15 to 20 minutes every two to three hours during the day.
• Compression – compress or bandage the injured area to limit any swelling and movement that could damage it further. You can use a crepe bandage .It should be wrapped snugly around the affected area but not so tightly that it restricts blood flow.
• Elevation – keep the injured area raised and supported on a pillow to help reduce swelling.
• Analgesics - like Advil
are taken as and when needed to reduce the pain and inflammation.
Hope this information is helpful. Good day