Hit rib cage on bed side, severe pain. How to know if rib cage is cracked?

About 1 1/2 wks ago I slipped at the end of the bed and hit my ribcage on the bedstead. I ve had pretty severe pain in the left side of my ribcage. Husband says intercostal myalgia . W//out going for xrays, how would I know if it s that or a cracked rib? Years ago I had a horseback riding accident where the horse fell over on me and the saddle horn broke 2 ribs and punctured my left lung . This hurts nothing like that did! But, it s just odd that it s not improving if it s just a bad bruise , which I think it is. Will this IM go away if it s the problem? The main problem is lying in bed at night. Either side I lie on is very painful so I m not getting nearly the rest I need to properly heal.
Asked On : Sun, 17 Feb 2013