Hit on the upper left thigh, intense swelling and hardness. How would one know whether its a blood clot?

I fell last 8 days ago through my deck & really hit hard on my upper left thigh. Went to emergency room, they xrayed & said there was not fractures . Just major swelling , put me on crutches & pain meds. Leg has gone down some, however, where it hit the hardest is is very hard and swollen. I can put some weight on it it just seems to be taking forever to go down. How would you know if you had a blod clot? YYYY@YYYY
Asked On : Fri, 5 Oct 2012