Hit on the elbow, woke up with a whole arm swelling and pain. What could have happened?

2 weeks ago while packing to move I was continuously wrapping dishes and hit my elbow on the cabinet. The next morning my elbow hurt and I thought it was because I was continuously using it. Each day it has been hurting a little more and I started taking Ibophrean for pain and it has worked well. Yesterday I was not feeling well and went to bed early. I woke up this morning with my whole arm swollen and painful. I ve now taken 2 more Ibophrean and am laying down with a cold cloth on it. What do you think might be wrong and what can I do in the meantime for pain until I can see my physician?
Asked On : Fri, 28 Dec 2012
Orthopaedic Surgeon, Joint Replacement 's  Response
Feb 2014

From description it seems to be soft tissue injury .
You need an x-ray to rule out any bony injury.
I suggest you to consult an orthopaedician nearby for a detailed examination. You may get the X-ray of the area affected under his/her guidance. You can take anti-inflammatory drug like motrin to reduce pain and inflammation. Avoid lifting weight and rest well

I do hope that you have found something helpful and I will be glad to answer any further query.