Hit on back, hurts and feels weak, family history of back problem

I m only 13 years old and yesterday I stood up and the first step I took after hurt my back and my back gave way then hurtled for a bit then went away, but today it hurts and feels weak and I can t really touch any lower than my knee without it hurtin please help by the way on the male side of my family we are known for back problems
Asked On : Mon, 9 Apr 2012
Pain Medicine & Palliative Care Specialist 's  Response
You are young to be suffering with back pains. At your age these pains are not likely to be serious and not related to the backache your family members suffer.
They are probably muscular. I suggest you take paracetamol and ibuprofen for the pain but make sure you take these under adult supervision. If your pain lasts more than a week, you may benefit from physiotherapy to strengthen your core muscles.
I hope you feel better soon.
Dr k A Pottinger,