Hit hard on head. Feeling tenderness on forehead, swelling between eye. How long does it take to get cured?

I fell 5 days ago and hit my head hard on a picnic table. The bump was huge like you would see on a cartoon. I put ice on it. The next day I had no headache , just a lot of tenderness on my forehead and the top of my head. 3 days later in between my eyes it was swollen and now I have a black right eye. The bump is still there. How long before a bump disappears. I never went to the Doctor/Hospital.
Asked On : Sun, 15 Jul 2012
Ophthalmologist 's  Response
It seems from the history that you had a injury to the forehead following which you are having swelling between the eyes and black eyes.
This is because of collection of blood in the skin of the eyelids and the site of impact.
This will resolve by itself over a period of 3-4 weeks. Applying cold compression and use of anti-inflammatory and antiedema drugs may help in early resolution of symptoms.
However if you have any symptoms of severe head injury like nausea, vomiting, headache or blurring of vision you need to consult your doctor otherwise you can wait.

Thank you