History of smoking. Recurring chest infections, persistent cough. Normal chest x-ray. Should Spirometry be done?

I am 45. History of smoking , not heavy, but over a long period and not for last 2-3 years. Symptoms are recurring chest infections, non-productive, spasmodic, persistant cough . Greatly reduced activity levels due to breathing challenges. Chest x-rays clear, blood counts normal. Anti-biotics seem to have little effect clearing my symptoms when I have a chest infection. Steroids greatly improve but do not eliminate cough and breathing difficulty. I am mainly concerned because every time I catch a little cold it ends up going to my chest and I don t get better until I am prescribed prednisone tablets. Until the course of steroids I can barely get out of bed. I have been ill frequently over the last year to point that I have not scheduled a Spirometry test recommended by my GP. He said I need to be 100% before I take the test but I think perhaps I need to re-evaluate what I consider to be 100% as I am never there it seems. Although it would be great if you could say what I have and need to do, I am more looking for an opinion on what steps and tests I should expect from my GP. Certainly the Spirometry test seems like a good idea. Are there other tests that might be prudent for my situation though? A CT Scan , bronchoscopy , etc.? Thank you in advance
Asked On : Mon, 26 Nov 2012